General information about the pulse
- The human heart beats in a given cycle. This impact is caused by contraction of the heart. By contraction of the heart muscle is a certain amount of blood, about 70-100 ml, pushed from the heart to the body.
- Since the blood from the heart so intermittently flows into the arteries, this stretch with the blood gush out of something. The arterial walls tighten up again slightly and expel the blood so wavy further through the body. The result is a so-called pulse wave which is only briefly mentioned pulse.
- At certain parts of the body, it is possible to feel this pulse. The pulse like a light tapping feels like. Especially in the professional care serve the pulse values for patient observation, because the pulse changes, for example, in case of illness.
- The pulse values can be measured very well in body sites where the arteries are quite far to the skin surface. In general, this point should be near a bone or muscle, so that the arteries can be pressed against it. Highly suitable sites include the wrist, behind the knee or neck at the carotid artery.
These values are observed
With pulse control, the values are evaluated under different criteria. As a layman, the frequency of the impact sequence is only important, but in medicine, other factors are taken into account.
- The frequency is a very important note about the activity of the heart and blood circulation. A healthy adult has about a frequency of 60-80 beats per minute at rest. After a major effort, these values can also be much higher, but they should slow down considerably after a break. The frequency can be detected even by a layman.
- The rhythm is also very important and can also be determined by a layman. Because the heart beats very regular in most cases. Is felt an irregularity of pulse measurement, this may be the first sign of a lesion.
- Have medically trained staff through training and above all by the routine more criteria, which are still being considered. In general, it is important how well the pulse is to feel, because this gives information on the condition of the arteries. Are these slack, it is more difficult to palpate the values. It is also to feel how much stretch the artery, as this can also be excluded, how much blood is pumped.
If anything is unclear or it may be difficult to determine these values, electronic devices are used. An ECG can provide very accurate information about the pulse.