First aid for burns
Small skin burns occur in everyday life are common and can be very painful. Some simple things to help alleviate the pain quickly and to promote healing.
- Large-scale and severe burns must always seek medical treatment! Especially with extensive burns is an acute shock hazard and you should immediately alert the emergency services.
- The most important thing in skin burns is rapid cooling. Keep as quickly under cold water to prevent the burnt skin further tissue damage. However, hypothermia must be avoided at all costs! Especially children are very sensitive there. As a general rule the 20-20 rule: 15-20 minutes in 20 ° C water cool. If the patient does complain about the cold, better stop before or at least use warmer water. The body usually know very well what is good for him.
- If there is no water in the area, you can make do with cold spray or special "burns Spray". Here, the risk of frost damage is even bigger. It may therefore be used with extreme caution! In addition, sprays should never be sprayed on open wounds!
- Blisters are never opened! The risk of infection increases dramatically and the healing process is hindered.
- Open burns should cover only with special burn dressing or sterile towels, aluminized possible compresses and let them medical aid. Open treat burn wounds never without medical advice with ointments or other means - this worsens the prognosis is often considerably!